Friday, July 29, 2011

Refilled Toner Cartridges

I have a HP Color LaserJet 2605dn printer.  I like the printer except for the cost of replacement toner cartridges.  A full set of cartridges is about the same cost of the printer!

As a way of saving some money, I brought a full set of cartridges to Jiffy Laser in Omaha.  I had them clean my printer so knew they could refill my cartridges.  I was sure that refilled cartridges would be less expensive than new, OEM cartridges.

I was mildly shocked  when I picked up the cartridges and saw the invoice - $89.00 per cartridge!  My bill was $356.00 plus tax.

Lets do some comparison shopping.  Office Max in Council Bluffs sells the HP color cartridges for $91.99 and the black for $82.99.  That's a total of $358.96.  But wait, they also sell a package of the 3 color cartridges for $247.99.  Add in the black and that full set would cost $330.98!  All of these were new OEM cartridges.

Office Max also sells store brand cartridges.  Color cartridges are $74.99 each and the black cartridge is $69.99 for a total of $294.96!

I should have asked the price before I dropped off the cartridges for refilling. The "refilled" cartridges came in boxes marked as "Premium Compatible Cartridge".  There are no other supplier information on the box.

Finally, it took 2 1/2 weeks from the time I dropped off the spent cartridges to when refilled cartridges were back.  The bottom line is that refilled cartridges (at least for my HP 2605) from Jiffy Laser is not a bargain!

No comments:

Post a Comment